Straightening out perl

parv parv at pair.com
Tue Dec 23 11:44:32 PST 2003

in message <pan.2003.12.23.15.35.09.262499 at sremick.net>,
wrote Scott I. Remick thusly...

> Maybe this belongs in the -ports list... I dunno. Anyways, saw a few
> messages recently that prompted me to check my perl situation:
>
> su-2.05b# pkg_info | grep perl-
> perl-5.6.1_15       Practical Extraction and Report Language
> perl-5.8.2_2        Practical Extraction and Report Language
>
> And wouldn't you know, everything that depends on perl depends on 5.6
> currently. Yet it seems I should be ditching 5.6 and using 5.8.2, from
> what I read.

May not directly apply to OP...

If two versions of Perl are required (& as the situation is currently),
install one port at the default location for which modules must work.
Install the other perl port, for which modules are not needed, in
a non-default version.

If done in that order, the second port would pick up the module path
from the first.  Thus allowing the use of almost all the modules, except
XS ones.

Just a workaround until something better happens...

  - Parv