enabling telnet service and capturing packets with ethereal ( was Re: doubts )

Nelis Lamprecht nelis at 8ball.co.za
Tue Dec 23 02:33:01 PST 2003

for a better response from the mail list in future I suggest you use a
subject that is more descriptive of your message.

On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 12:01, manish gautam wrote:
> Hello sir !
>
> I have some very silly problems using freebsd 4.7.
>
> 1. How to enable telnet service in freebsd 4.7 ?

read
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-inetd.html
on how to enable inetd(8)

You will also need to edit /etc/inetd.conf and uncomment this line:

telnet stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/telnetd    telnetd

> 2. How to use ethereal to capture network packet on freebsd 4.7 ?

A quick visit to
http://www.ethereal.com/docs/user-guide/ch03capturestart.html should
answer this question.