doc on make command

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Dec 22 13:46:54 PST 2003

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 04:30:12PM -0500, fbsd_user wrote:
> I am looking for documentation on the make command
> that is used to install ports.
> The man page says there is an tutorial, but does
> not say where it's at or how to get to it.
>
> make search=
> make install clean
> make all-depends-list
> make index
> make fetch-recursive
>
> and the list go on and on.

Most of the popular make(1) targets are documented in the ports(7) man page.

The tutorial on make(1) itself is /usr/share/doc/psd/12.make/paper.ascii.gz

(or you might have a PostScript version there instead, depending on
how you set the PRINTERDEVICE variable in /etc/make.conf)

There's also some stuff in the Developer's Handbook:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/index.html

However, the best tutorial if you want to progress beyond those
introductory treatments is simply to study the way Makefiles are used
in /usr/ports and /usr/src -- the files in /usr/share/mk and
/usr/ports/Mk are where it's at.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way