FreeBSD CVS for DOS/Windows sources?

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Sun Dec 21 12:06:08 PST 2003

On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 08:58:30PM +0000, Daniela wrote:
> On Sunday 21 December 2003 17:25, Doug Lee wrote:
> > I'm trying to use FreeBSD's CVS (v1.11.5) to manage DOS/Windows
> > projects, which of course means files with CR/LF line endings.  The
> > docs claim the repository will internally store everything (text files
> > anyway) with only LF endings, but in fact I'm seeing CR/LF endings in
> > repository text files.  This is still fine until I pull a project out
> > with a DOS/Windows CVS client (the standard cvs.exe), which gives me
> > lines ending in CR/CR/LF.  If I pull the project under Unix, I get the
> > CR/LF endings just fine; but my coworkers will not be telneting to
> > Unix just to pull code...
>
> I don't know anything about Micro$oft Winblows eXPensive, but why don't you
> just strip the CR on the server? So the Windoze client can add the CR, and
> you always get the native format, respectively.
> This is definitely the fault of the client, so don't blame the server :-)

Actually I wasn't sure whose "fault" it was, since the docs say the
CR's should not be stored by the server.  Given that, the client did
what it should under the circumstances.

Maybe a later CVS version than 1.11.5 fixes this in the server?  I'm
not sure.

I didn't edit the repo because I don't consider myself savvy enough
about CVS yet to start playing with repo files directly, except to
look at them with a curious eye.

--
Doug Lee           dgl at dlee.org        http://www.dlee.org
Bartimaeus Group   doug at bartsite.com   http://www.bartsite.com