Initial install (packages vs. ports)

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Sat Dec 20 20:13:46 PST 2003

Just for clarification...

The trade off I see with installing from CD vs. doing a minimal install
is that when it comes time to upgrade it will cause more issues.

By this I mean that if I do a minimal install and then later install
from ports it will be more seamless than installing first from packages
(like KDE, for example) and then trying to upgrade with ports later.

Certainly packages from the CD would be installed quicker than having to
build from ports, but at the cost of future upgrades.

Is this true, a little off the mark, or way off?

Thanks,