How to mount FreeBSD from Debian or any Linux possibly

Ruben de Groot mail25 at bzerk.org
Sat Dec 20 03:51:12 PST 2003

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 09:16:36PM -0500, Peter Leftwich typed:
> Ruben de Groot <mail25 at bzerk.org> wrote:
> >Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster at Video2Video.Com> wrote...
> >> currently-running X session.  That would allow me to use KDE and
> >> Konqueror to browse graphically to the directory
> >> /mnt/freebsdpartition ... anyone know how?
> > Not needed. try: `mount -t ufs -o ufstype=44bsd,uid=knoppix /dev/hda2 /mnt/freebsdpartition
> > (that is, if your X session is running as user "knoppix".)
>
> root at ttyp0[root]# mount -t ufs -o ufstype=44bsd,uid=knoppix /dev/hda2 /mnt/fbsd
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda2,
>        or too many mounted file systems

Aah, silly me. I really should drink some more coffee before answering.
The 'uid=' option I suggested is invalid for ufs partitions (I use it
normally on smb shares)

> Ruben, Your suggested command line returned an error and did not work.  Is
> there a hack where I can edit the /etc/mtab or /etc/fstab files in realtime
> instead?

Not that I know of, but maybe you'll get better answers on a knoppix
mailing list.

good luck,
Ruben