EISA I/O port status error.panic: NMI indicates hardware failure

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Dec 19 03:01:00 PST 2003

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 11:24:28AM +0100, Thomas Hafner wrote:

> A few days ago I had running some cpu intensive stuff, so the system
> got hot and after 30h or so the box died. After powering and cooling
> down the system it was alive again. Now it shows this problem.
>
> Any guesses where the hardware problem is?

Seems pretty clear that some vital component has died of heat stress.
Chances are it's either the CPU or one of the north,south bridges on
the motherboard.  Either way, it's time to rip the guts out of that
box and replace the important bits.  Or buy a whole new machine, if
you're not interested in getting the screwdrivers out.

If you do replace the CPU/Mobo make sure to replace the CPU heatsink
and any fans -- you should monitor fan speeds and CPU temperature: a
combination of the net/mrtg and sysutils/xmbmon ports does it for me.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way