trouble with 3ware Escalade 8006-2

LeChuck lechuck at toplamer.org
Thu Dec 18 18:23:15 PST 2003

I have recently purchased a 3ware Escalade 8006-2 SATA RAID card to
serve as a simple mirror raid in a small server. I already have a server
running a 3ware PATA raid using twe and I heard that twe supports the
8506 series as well so I thought this would be a piece of cake. Well it
isnt.

I booted up, created the RAID array (simple 2 disk mirror, not many
things to screw up here) and then started the 5.1 install. Before
bringing up the sysinstall gui the last line was this:

twe: command interrupted

but it recognized md0 and I was able to create slices and mount points
and start installation from the CD but it always stopped with a write
failure when it was extracing /bin or /doc files (tried this a couple
times)

I went back to 4.9 then. It did not give me the above twe message
actually it did not tell anything about twe but it recognized and used
md0. I created slices etc. and started file extraction. It quickly hung
up with write failure telling me the file system was full (I gave 2-3
GBs to / and /usr and I had plenty of swap).

What may be wrong here? Has anyone installed FreeBSD on a box with a
3ware 8006-2 card? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Lck