System forgets it's mac address on 1 interface every reboot

King, Arron S. kinga at ohiodominican.edu
Thu Dec 18 07:34:10 PST 2003

Hello,

I am trying to re-task an old system to do something useful.  I have an
older Nokia IP 330 that I have managed to install FreeBSD on. I found a
paper on doing this in Linux, and was able to do mostly the same thing
with FreeBSD.    It involved removing the hard drive and putting it into
another system that had a similar chipset on the motherboard to do the
install.  (The nokia does not have a cd-rom or keyboard/mouse/video
interfaces).

The paper I read also documents that the mac addresses of the 3 built-in
NICs weren't burned into the prom, and thus needed to be set manually.
I was able to document what the original mac's were by booting the box
into IPSO (nokia's bsd-based OS) before I installed FreeBSD.  When I
installed FreeBSD on the surrogate system, I made sure to setup the com
ports to accept a console login.

At this point, my re-tasked Nokia boots FreeBSD, and I am able to login
to the console port as root.  I have been able to bring up a NIC by
manually entering the settings.  In /etc/rc.conf, I have entered the
settings to configure the mac address of each NIC, and to add an IP
Address to one of the NICs.    Thinking I am set, I reboot the box; but
the interface never comes up.  Consoling in on the com port shows that
the NIC I configured has it's IP information; but lost it's mac address.
The other 2 interfaces that I did not configure for IP have remembered
their mac addresses.  I have played around with the location and
combining of my statements in /etc/rc.conf; but haven't found success
yet.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks for reading the long post, and any ideas anyone can offer!

Below are my config files and information that seemed relevant..

/etc/rc.conf
	# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Mon Dec 15 08:45:34 2003
	# Created: Mon Dec 15 08:45:34 2003
	# Enable network daemons for user convenience.
	# Please make all changes to this file, not to
/etc/defaults/rc.conf.
	# This file now contains just the overrides from
/etc/defaults/rc.conf.
	kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
	sendmail_enable="YES"
	sshd_enable="YES"
	usbd_enable="NO"
	# NEVER lose these MAC addresses.  This hardware doesn't have
them burned in.
	ifconfig_fxp0="link 00:a0:8e:0c:25:30"
	ifconfig_fxp1="link 00:a0:8e:0c:25:34"
	ifconfig_fxp2="link 00:a0:8e:0c:25:38"
	#
	ntpdate_flags="-b 10.xxx.xxx.xx"
	ntpdate_enable="YES"
	check_quotas="NO"
	nisdomainname="NO"
	ifconfig_fxp0="inet 10.xxx.xxx.x netmask 255.255.0.0"
	defaultrouter="10.xxx.x.x"
	hostname="foo"
	ntpdate_enable="YES"

Results of ifconfig on system before reboot (working NIC)
	fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
1500
	        inet 10.xxx.xxx.x netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast
10.xxx.255.255
	        inet6 fe80::d488:b1d9:9b5f:d1cc%fxp0 prefixlen 64
scopeid 0x1
	        ether 00:a0:8e:0c:25:30
	        media: Ethernet manual
	fxp1: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	        ether 00:a0:8e:0c:25:34
	        media: Ethernet manual
	fxp2: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	        ether 00:a0:8e:0c:25:38
	        media: Ethernet manual
	lp0: flags=8810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
	        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
	        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
	        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

Results of ifconfig after reboot (configured NIC looses it's mac
address)
	fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
1500
	        inet 10.xxx.xxx.x netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast
10.xxx.255.255
	        inet6 fe80::d488:b1d9:9b5f:d1cc%fxp0 prefixlen 64
scopeid 0x1
	        ether ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
	        media: Ethernet manual
	fxp1: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	        ether 00:a0:8e:0c:25:34
	        media: Ethernet manual
	fxp2: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	        ether 00:a0:8e:0c:25:38
	        media: Ethernet manual
	lp0: flags=8810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
	        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
	        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
	        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

Arron King
Network & Systems Administrator
Ohio Dominican University