master.passwd -- securing

Rhys John elite_bizkit at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 18 03:28:38 PST 2003

Ive been playing with "vipw" trying to change passwords into "*" for a
slightly higher level of security but ran into some very big problems. From
reading through the FreeBSD handbook it seemed all i had to do was replace
the encrypted password with *, which is what i did. I thought it seemed a
bit odd but continued anyway. Foolishly (although i was quite tired) i did
this to both my user account and root. So they both had * as their password
and looked the same as every other entry in the file. I saved it and "vipw"
updated the database so i thought all was well and logged off to check...
big mistake! The net result of this was not good, i couldnt access my user
account or root :( Anyway i had to cut the power to my PC since i couldnt
shut it down because i was locked out. After that i went into single user
mode and changed the passwords back and its working now but i cant hide the
passwords. So i guess after all this rambling my question is how to i secure
the password file? How do i change from the encrypted password to * without
screwing over my system? Any help would by much appreciated

- BiZKiT