Increase space for /var/db/

samy lancher washville2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 14:32:53 PST 2003

Hello,
thanks for the response. you are right, for 4.5 freebsd there is no reference of DB_DIR in mysql-server.sh.
I looked for my.cnf in /etc and /usr/local/etc, but i did not find it in those folders. i feel that this file does not exist in my system. any suggestions?

thanks,

"Scott I. Remick" <scott at sremick.net> wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:04:58 -0800, samy lancher wrote:

> I have a 4.5 FreeBSD server with mysql database. only 250MB was allocated
> to /var/db. Our database is increasing so fast that now i need to expand
> the memory for /var/db. I guess one way to do is to install a new hard
> drive and then mount it to /var/db. But i would like to know if there is
> any other way to solve that problem. Is making a soft link a good idea. i
> have 70GB in /usr/ so i would like to map /var/db/ to some location in
> /usr/. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

First time I had to do this I did the link suggestion that other people
have posted. But you have another cleaner option w/ MySQL. There is a
my.cnf file where you can set a DATADIR variable (I think that's what it's
called) to set the path for the database files. Then you can point that to
/usr/mysql or whatever. Just read up on my.cnf and how it's used for more
info. It either goes in /etc or /usr/local/etc I think.

The reason I'm vague is that I don't do it that way myself. I use the
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ scripts (which I don't think were used in 4.5?) so I
have an option right within the mysql-server.sh script there for setting
the datadir (DB_DIR).