installworld problem

Hunter Pine hunter at compuhelp.com
Wed Dec 17 07:35:30 PST 2003

Oh yeah, expr is installed. :)

-su-2.05b# which expr
/bin/expr

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Hunter Pine
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 9:54 AM
To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Subject: installworld problem

I cvsup'd src-all to 4.9-STABLE on a fresh install of 4.8-RELEASE last
night.

I've now done a buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, reboot, and
installworld three times, all with the same result in the same place. I've
tried another cvsup, but no updates have been made to the source tree since
last night.

I've made various changes to make.conf, hoping to find something that was
misconfigured, no dice yet. The vanilla make.conf from /etc/defaults results
in the same stop errors below.

In all instances, the buildworld, buildkernel, and installkernel proceeds
without error, and the new kernel reboots just fine. It's just this
installkernel that's stumping me. Various google searches have not turned up
any issues specific to installworld relating to either "devascii", or
"Making R" or "expr: not found" or "Error code 127".

The FreeBSD handbook directed me here, so if anyone can point me in a
direction on what to try next, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hunter Pine

---error dump---

===> gnu/usr.bin/groff/font/devascii
Making R
expr: not found
*** Error code 127

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/font/devascii.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/font.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin.