KDE, Gnome not coming down via cvsup

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 00:40:44 PST 2003

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 04:00:14AM +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> I run cvsup to get the ports collection updates about once or twice a week.
> I noticed that the list of ports on the FreeBSD website has separate
> categories for KDE and Gnome.  However, when I cvsup with 'ports-all' in my
> cvsup file, I don't get these directories in /usr/ports/.
>
> Is this an issue for some reason, or just a silly oversight of mine?

These are so called 'virtual' categories, which means essentially what
you've observed: the port has the entry in it's CATEGORIES variable,
but there isn't a corresponding directory in the ports tree.  A
virtual category cannot be the first category in the list.

Virtual categories exist to provide alternate routes to locating a
port or package via the web site.  If they are sufficiently popular,
eventually they may transform into a real category, as happened to the
'dns' category fairly recently.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way