Windows client - internet connection sharing

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Dec 16 07:20:17 PST 2003

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 07:40:14PM +0200, Gareth Bailey wrote:
> Is it possible to set up a freebsd server connected to an
> ADSL line to provide internet access via LAN to a number of
> Windows clients. I don't know where to start. Any
> information in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, absolutely.  However, there are such a huge number of variations
on possible ways of doing that that it's impossible to describe
everything you'ld need to know in a simple e-mail.

Lets look at a few questions you'ld need to answer:

 1) ADSL router or modem?

    This is all about how you interface your FreeBSD system to ADSL --
    the basic choice is between a router: a standalone unit which you
    plug the phone line into one side of, and an ethernet cable into
    the other -- or a modem: this is a device that plugs into a serial
    or USB port on your FreeBSD box.

    Routers will work entirely independently of your FreeBSD machine.
    Since your connection to them is via ethernet, there's practically
    no compatibility problems.  Depending on how much money you spend,
    your can get routers which provide packet filtering, network and
    port address translation, DNS, DHCP and various other capabilities
    -- although if you go to the expense of buying a really capable
    router there's not much left to do for your FreeBSD box.

    Modems are the other end of this scale: you need to find a device
    for which appropriate drivers are available under FreeBSD.  Once
    you've got the modem connected up, you'll need to use the attached
    FreeBSD box to provide appropriate functionality to make a
    practicable ADSL connection.  This includes running PPPoA or PPPoE
    (A = ATM, E = Ethernet: all ADSL in the UK is PPPoA, other
    countries do things differently) to establish networking into your
    service provider.  You would use the standard FreeBSD stuff to do
    NAT and firewall packet filtering, and you can install DHCP
    servers and so forth.  Effectively the FreeBSD box + modem takes
    the place of the standalone router above.

 2) What sort of address space do you want to have assigned to you
    from your ISP?  The cheapest ADSL accounts give you a single
    Internet-routable IP number, usually assigned via DHCP.  There can
    be an implicit assumption that you've basically got just one
    machine you want to have net access, although this is becoming
    less common nowadays.  Lots of ISPs will give you two addresses:
    this is intended to give you an address for the router box, plus
    an address for a real PC.  Next step up is to get that one or two
    addresses permanently assigned to you.  Beyond that, you can get a
    routed connection -- you get a small net block permanently assigned
    to you, as well as the single IP used for the WAN side of your
    router.  This enables you to set up a 'DMZ' network, and for
    instance have several servers visible on the Internet.  Many ISPs
    will have local policies forbidding you from running servers of
    various sorts, mostly as a way of protecting the ISP from the
    awful consequences of allowing Windoze machines out on the open
    Internet in the hands of the clueless.

 3) A consequential decision related to the above: do you want some or
    all of your Windows (or other) LAN machines to have Internet
    routable addresses or to run Internet visible services?  There's
    several ways of doing this:

    DMZ network -- classic firewall design.  Here the Internet
    accessible machines are kept on a separate small sub-net, and you
    have a second packet-filtering router (generally a machine with a
    couple of network cards, running natd and ipfw or similar) between
    that and your private internal network.

    Packet filtering bridge -- similar to the above, except that the
    DMZ is and the internal private stuff are now technically on the
    same subnet, and your packet filter serves to separate public and
    private parts of the subnet.  This is a much harder setup to get
    working effectively and securely than either of the other two, so
    use only as a last resort.

    NAT address proxying -- your NAT gateway has one or more IP
    addresses assigned and the NAT gateway knows how to forward
    incoming connections to an internal server.  Or you run proxy
    servers on the Internet visible addresses which will accept
    incoming connections and relay them to the real servers on the
    internal network.  Taken to the extreme, you could use this sort
    of setup to do load balancing and other fancy networking tricks,
    but you'ld probably have to spend $$$ to by the right sort of
    hardware load balancing kit needed.

 4) From the point of view of the private side of your network, the
    FreeBSD box should minimally appear as the default gateway to the
    Internet.  You can assign IP addresses and other configuration
    parameters to each machine manually or you can run various network
    servers to provide a level of autoconfiguration and subnet wide
    resources.  Generally these do not need to be run on the gateway
    machine, and in many ways it's better to keep them on separate
    servers.  However, not being made of money, that may not be
    entirely practical: if you're going to run DNS, DHCP, Samba,
    Kerberos, LDAP, Sendmail, Apache etc. on the gateway machine you
    will a) make the firewall rule set you need on that box
    significantly more complicated, b) have to take extra care when
    configuring those servers that you don't unintentionally expose
    them on the Internet side of the box and c) give potential
    attackers a lot more scope for finding an exploitable flaw.  Most
    server software on Unix machines can be configured to bind to a
    subset of the available network interfaces.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way