Headless System via serial port?

Minnesota Slinky mnslinky at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 15 20:10:12 PST 2003

Hello all.

Perhaps there are some differences in the 5.x series for serial port
options that I'm not aware of.  I plugged in a null-modem cable, and
opened HyperTerminal on my laptop.  I added a boot.config file in my
root directory on the freebsd system with the one line: -P

Great news.  I unplugged the keyboard and mouse and kept the monitor
plugged in just for measure.  I loaded hyperterm and watched as the
system detected the missing keyboard/mouse and I began to see text on my
terminal.  Everything loaded fine, until the login prompt.  Last thing I
saw was the current time and date on hyperterm.  On the monitor was the
login screen.  I couldn't even log in via ssh.  If I boot with a
keyboard/mouse, I get a normal system and I can log in via ssh.

Please help.

Eric F Crist
President
AdTech Integrated Systems, Inc