howto upgrade 4.8 to 4.9 without cdrom or floppy? ERROR

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Mon Dec 15 19:30:22 PST 2003

Yes, I am familiar with that upgrade path...  Part of my motivation was ...
well, lazyness :-) using someone elses worked out example, part a desire to
blow away a rather mixed and heavily tweeked system (read I've been
experimenting on it for so long I'm not sure what I've done anymore)...  and
a small part the thrill of tackling an interesting problem... (<mode = evil
willow> "Bored Now!" </mode>)

In particular I wanted to completely remove a whole bunch of pkg_adds I'd done
manually without doing pkg_delete or whatever...  given there was nothing I
needed to keep, I figured it was easier to reinstall from scratch
(4.9-RELEASE), with or without cvsup'ing to 4.9 stable.

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
"And some run up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stones
to pieces wi' hammers, like so many road makers run daft.
They say it is to see how the world was made."
Sir Walter Scott, St. Ronan's Well 1824