Production Or Not How Do you know that ? I don't know

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Dec 15 13:01:14 PST 2003

On Dec 15, 2003, at 2:09 PM, Vahric MUHTARYAN wrote:
> Hi Everybody ,
>
> 	I'm watching the list too much time Everybody said that 4.9 for
> production evn. And Maybe 5.2 will be for production env. Could you say
> witch list I have to watch for this release will be for production env.

if you are running 4.9, which is the "recommended production
evironment" at this time.

> 	And I don't understand why all release products can't used for
> production env . because I red documents and mails said that

"Can't be used" is too strong; you are welcome to test any version of
the code  you like and put it into production if it seems to suit your
requirements.

> -- CURRENT have feture options and for testing env.
> -- STABLE is more better then CURRENT but it's not for prodcution too
> -- RELESE is more better then STABLE , tested more then STABLE and have
> cleared code but Why all of releases are not for production env .

A RELEASE of the -STABLE branch, such as the 4.9 release, is more
carefully tested than interim conditions between releases.

> 	Somebody said that all 5.x releases was the bleeding edge
> development versions at this moment Why you are say 5.1 RELEASE ...

You are right that it is confusing to users to see releases come out
with a higher version number (ie, 5.0, 5.1) which are not "better" than
4.8 or 4.9.

However, the goal is to get 5.x to the point where it is "better" for
most production users than 4.x is, at which point the FreeBSD people
will promote 5.x to -STABLE instead of -CURRENT.  It's hard to get 5.x
to that point without generating at least one full RELEASE for people
to use, test, and encounter problems with.

--
-Chuck