I can't mount dos formatted 1.44mb floppy in FreeBSD 5.0

Josh Paetzel friar_josh at tcbug.org
Sun Dec 14 10:31:10 PST 2003

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 10:14:48AM -0800, nil ban wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Plz tell me how I'll be able to mount 1.44mb dos
> formatted(fat filesystem) floppy.  Whenever I give the
> command #mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy,
> I get the following promt;
> msdosfs: /dev/fd0: Input/output error.
> I also wrote msdosfs instead of msdos and try other
> floppies but the result is same.  I can read and write
> in those floppies in windows so I think the floppies
> are not defective.
>
> And plz tell me how to format floppy with
> FAT and UFS.
>
> Thanks & Regards

For starters, I would install the /usr/ports/emulators/mtools port.  This
allows you to format, read, and write to floppies like you would from DOS.

For using floppies under FreeBSD you may want to take a look at the following
handbook page:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/floppies.html

Thanks,
Josh Paetzel