Page faults every few days

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sun Dec 14 00:56:12 PST 2003

On Saturday 13 December 2003 11:52 pm, Jaime wrote:
> On Sunday, December 14, 2003, at 01:40  AM, Gautam Gopalakrishnan wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 12:19:19AM -0500, Jaime wrote:
> >> 	Its probably SpamAssassin, which is run against every incoming
> >> message.  This causes it to have lots of copies in memory at once and
> >> to run/quit very often.  I don't think that updating Perl will help (I
> >> don't see why a user-space process would interfere with kernel
> >> resource
> >> management.) and I has updated SpamAssassin several times since the
> >> problem began.
> >
> > You probably know, maybe spamd is better than invoking
> > so many perl instances
>
> 	This is actually what I'm doing.  However, spamd is a perl process.
>
> zeus:jkikpole>ps auxww|grep spamd
> root       822  0.0  3.8 21112 9924  ??  Is   Tue09AM   2:15.08
> /usr/local/bin/spamd -a -c -d (perl5.00503)
>
> 	Odd.... For once we have less than 5 spamd processes running
> concurrently.  I guess that is what happens at a public school as
> nearly 3am on a Sunday morning.  :)

Well, there is this piece of info in /usr/src/UPDATING

20030904:
        Between August 9th and August 30th, a bug existed in the i386
        virtual memory system which could cause panics under load.
        Anyone running a kernel built between those dates is advised
        to update at the earliest possible convenience.

As some one suggested earlier, I think you should read the above item very
closely.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart