FreeBSD 4.x-RELEASE on the intel 875 or 865-series chipsets

Brian Costello btx at mojo.calyx.net
Sat Dec 13 11:11:32 PST 2003

Dan:

Thank you very much for your response!  I of course checked hardware.txt
before posting, but didn't see a single mention on either the 5.x or 4.x
release sections, but figured it was just an oversight as you pointed out -
the 875 & 865 seemed to be far too be far too popular a chipset to be fully
ignored by FreeBSD, but I of course couldn't say for sure... and I had lots
of trouble finding any mention of i865 and i875 on ANY FreeBSD mailing list.

Also, thanks for the terminology correction :)  "Legacy mode" sounds a bit
better than  "some sort of compatibility mode" :)

Anyway, I'll be installing FreeBSD 4.9 on my new systems... I use 4.8
currently, but from my FreeBSD experience, when FreeBSD doesn't natively
support something, there are USUALLY problems in the "compatibility" or
"legacy" mode.  Might as well start with the latest and move to a dev 5.x if
that doesn't work.

I'll follow up to the list if I can get it to work.  Thanks again!

Brian Costello
btx at calyx.net