Vim Shared OBject.

David Fleck david.fleck at mchsi.com
Sat Dec 13 10:31:02 PST 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, S.Mehdi Sheikhalishahi wrote:
>  I installed FreeBSD in my box.I want to start vim
> editor
> but the following error occurred.I think I must set
> approprite path to Shared OBject library path.Please
> Help me.
>  /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.6"
> not found.
>
> My FreeBSD specification is :
>
> bash-2.05# uname -a
> FreeBSD cabinet.amnafzar.com 4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD
> 4.3-RELEASE #0: Sat Apr 21 10:54:49 GMT 2001
> jkh at narf.osd.bsdi.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC
> i386

Comments:
1) That's a really old version of FreeBSD you're using. That by itself may
   cause you problems.

2) Where did this version of vim come from, and how did you install it?
   The fact that it's looking for libc.so.6 makes me think it might be a
   version compiled for Linux instead of FreeBSD (my version of vim links
   to libc.so.4, for example) and if that is true, you need to have your
   system set up for Linux compatability.  See Chapter 22 in the FreeBSD
   handbook, 'Linux Binary Compatibility' for details.

(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/linuxemu.html)

--
David Fleck
david.fleck at mchsi.com