Dump/Restore

michaela michaela at mail.maa-net.net
Sat Dec 13 08:36:55 PST 2003

Hi there,

     I had a question regarding Dump/Restore.  I just had to reinstall FreeBSD completely because of a problem, and now I wanted to RESTORE just the filesystem '/usr/home'.  Well, I went into '/usr/home', then tried "restore -rf /dev/sa0" to restore it.  When it's done all there is is the "/" filesystem.

     I know when I did a dump of four filesystems /usr/home was the very last filesystem I dumped so I know it had to be on the tape.  I used the "n" for the device file 'sa0' so the tape would remain where it is after dumping each filesystem, as opposed to rewinding and the overwriting any previous dump.

     I know there has to be more filesystems on the tape besides "/" because when I did a "mt -f /dev/sa0 fsf 3" to skip three filesystems forward to the "/usr/home" filesystem, I didn't get any errors looking for it.  So I know it has to be on the tape.

     Can you offer any suggestions, help, or what have you??  I'm really stumped by this and I'm panicking because I may've lost all my valuable data.  I'm using a SCSI tape drive to backup data.  Thanks for your time! :)