cpu load

Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.org
Sat Dec 13 00:45:44 PST 2003

Eric Olsson wrote:
> I'v got FreeBSD 4.9 installed on my laptop and all is working fine
> except one
> thing and that is to be able to see how much my cpu is working. When i use
> 'top' it's all at 0% even tho i'm currently running alot of programs and
> doing
> a make install from the ports. I'v installed wmcpuload dockapp and that one
> allso allways shows 0%. Considering i'm on an old PII 300 Mhz with 64 Mb
> ram
> one would think it should use some atleast :)

It could mean that your kernel and user world got out of sync due to an
incomplete upgrade procedure, so 'top' does no longer understand the
data it gets from the kernel, or it could be an indicator that the stat
clock isn't working.

The stat clock is driven by the Real Time Clock (RTC) chip on the
mainboard, which could be either broken or incompatible with the kernel
driver.  Does 'systat -v 1' complain that the stat clock died?  We had
this problem once when a lead of the tiny RTC quartz came loose (due to
bad soldering) and the chip stopped working.

    Uwe
--
Uwe Doering         |  EscapeBox - Managed On-Demand UNIX Servers
gemini at geminix.org  |  http://www.escapebox.net