CVSUPIT pkg_add 90% good/10% strange

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Fri Dec 12 20:50:07 PST 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 12:49:34 +1300
"Richard Shea" <freebsdQ0 at richardshea.fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Hi Chris -  Thanks for the advice and sorry for the delay. I've taken
> a look in /usr/ports/net/cvsupit but pkg-plist does not exist

That's quite possibly why it failed to install in the first place :)

> so given
> all the other factors I think I will conclude that things are probably
> OK.

Yes.

> I suppose one day I will crack this updating of FreeBSD machines. To
> date I have been using FreeBSD for three years and I have two
> different experiences
>
> (A) a machine I installed 3.x on three years ago have never touched
> since and it runs beautifully (still I worry
> about security holes), everything I could ask for.
>
> (B) two other machines I have installed 4.x on in the last 6 months
> (both, to some degree 'play' machines). On both have attempted to
> update sources etc via CVSUP and have never had anything but
> grief/pain/boredom. I'm sure there are people out there who do this
> all the time and it all works but I'm not one of them ! Maybe one day
> !

Maybe I got lucky, but I never had many great problems doing it...
last time I did it, it went something like:

- install cvsup-without-gui from package on CD using /stand/sysinstall
- copy /usr/share/examples/cvsup/src-supfile to /etc/cvsup/src-supfile
- edit /etc/cvsup/src-supfile so that it reads like:

  *default host=cvsup5.FreeBSD.org
  *default base=/usr
  *default prefix=/usr
  *default release=cvs
  *default tag=RELENG_4
  *default delete use-rel-suffix
  *default compress
  src-all

- do similarly for ports-supfile and doc-supfile
- edit /etc/make.conf like:

  SUP_UPDATE=     yes
  SUP=            /usr/local/bin/cvsup
  SUPFLAGS=       -g -L 2
  SUPFILE=        /etc/cvsup/src-supfile
  PORTSSUPFILE=   /etc/cvsup/ports-supfile
  DOCSUPFILE=     /etc/cvsup/doc-supfile

- cd into /usr/src
- run 'make update'
- and that's all!