Serial Ports are there, but not in /dev

Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN] Danovitsch at Vitsch.net
Fri Dec 12 07:30:50 PST 2003

On Friday 12 December 2003 16:18, Dr. Lyman Hazelton wrote:
> I have a pair of standard serial ports which show up in dmesg thus:
>
> sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
> sio0: type 16550A
> sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 flags 0x10 on isa0
> sio1: type 16550A
>
> However, they don't show up as devices in /dev.  Anyone have some idea
> why the system might not like them, and how I can get them to show up
> as devices?  I have a serial PalmPilot (actually, a Kyocera phone)
> I'd like to be able to use with KPilot.
Thay should be in /dev, but they are called /dev/cuaa0 and /dev/cuaa1 which is
a bit confusing :)
If you really don't have these and you are running an older version of FreeBSD
(without devfs) you might want to try :
cd /dev
sh MAKEDEV cuaa0

grtz,