ppp setup

marcelo cardoso martinelli marcelocm70-lists at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 12 06:23:46 PST 2003

--- fbsd_user <fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com> wrote:
> You are making an assumption that FBSD and windows  look at the
> modem the same way, and you are wrong in that assumption. FBSD and
> windows are 2 very different OS and I no way handle PCI devices and
> IRQ's the same way.
>
> I beat I know your problem. Since your PC is first window box you
> bought winmodem for it because they are so cheap. The reason
> winmodems are so cheap is because they are missing onboard
> controllers  and DPC chips. You have to load special modems software
> drivers which perform those function in software. FBSD does not work
> with winmodems and if you look in /var/run/dmesg.boot you will see
> an message for pci device (unknown)  thats your winmodem.
> There is nothing wrong with user ppp yet it has not really been able
> to do any thing because the device you told it to use was never
> found at boot time.

two things: first, no my modem is not a winmodem, and i would think
that both OSes would access the modem using the same com port. i had
never observed that one os - be it linux, freebsd or windows - would
access the same piece of hardware differently. either way, but my modem
doesn't exist in /dev/cuaa0 or /dev/cuaa1, that's for sure.

i haven't been able to work on my home box over the past couple days
but one hint i got was to edit /boot/device.hints which may solve the
problem.

one piece of advice, please remember to include Cc the mailing list
when you reply to a post. i don't think the idea of a mailing list is
to start private conversations.

thanks for the help.