Perl 5.8.2 problems (was Re: how to build Spamassassin)

Tony Jones tony at tonyjones.com
Thu Dec 11 12:53:04 PST 2003

> The main reason for doing that sort of thing with most unixoid systems
> is that using a unique prefix for every software package you install
> means that you can easily identify which files belong to what package
> when later on it comes time to update things.

I understand this, but I still like the seperation.
Were I installing a package, I'd understand having to operate within the
confines of someone elses location scheme, BUT I'm building from source
for gods sake.  Being able to change the base prefix of the port install
seems like a pretty basic piece of functionality. Obviously there are some
exceptions, but it would be easy for the port to inform you if PREFIX could
not be changed in the environment.

I did a 'make install' on portupgrade,  didn't realize I'd have to install
ruby to install perl :-) Grief.

Then I found my problem.  My stock shell was ksh, obtained from research.att.com
many moons ago.  It was doing some odd stuff with the environment (not via any
dotted scripts).  perl -v would work in ksh but once I su'd to root (csh)
something was messed up.   Shrug.  chsh to sh or csh seems to work for that
shell and also when su'ing to root. With my /usr/local/perl prefix and all.

Thanks for everyones help & chastisement :-))

tony