Perl 5.8.2 problems (was Re: how to build Spamassassin)

Tony Jones tony at tonyjones.com
Thu Dec 11 09:52:15 PST 2003

> why is it in /usr/local/perl/bin? As far as I have seen, the ports
> collection doesn't do that. did you install as a port (make install in
> /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8)?

Yes.  make install PREFIX=/usr/local/perl

Is that bad?  I like to have large packages installed into seperate
sub-directories in /usr/local rather than all competing for /usr/local/{bin,lib,
etc}.

> What would happen if you were to use portinstall perl5.8 and
> portinstall spamassassin? You may need to install the portupgrade
> package if you haven't already done so.

I'm very unfamiliar with the ports system.  I've never heard of portinstall
or portupgrade.

Just running make && make install in the appropriate port subdirectory.

Tony