Good understanding about kernel

Vahric MUHTARYAN vahric at doruk.net.tr
Wed Dec 10 15:47:31 PST 2003

Hi ,

    I check the kernel file it's come to me too big . For example with
default installation My kernel size is 5,473,370 You will say because of
GENERIC kernel too many driver support for this reason it can be . My
question is here ....

    1) in document said that FreeBSD support dynamic module okey but after
that same documentation said that " because the functionality is so tied to
kernel that can not be made dynamically loadable ? "

            a) For What functionality ??! and Why it can't be ?!!! Because
in Linux  possible to have too small kernels ... I know that small kernels
always work faster ... I think FreeBSD consider this ?!

            b) I can not believe  FreeBSD moduler support because I check
/usr/src/sys/modules and all those files compiled and moved to /boot/kernel
directory with .ko extansion ( I think this extansion FreeBSD module
extansion ) But in Linux We can choose (almost everything like LVS , File
System , Network Settings any Dirvers , RAIDs , File System )  this will be
moduler or this will bein the kernel ( static ) with this configuration we
can have small kernel ...
Could you say me How can I choose this feture or driver will be moduler or
not becasu only to things can poosbile put the start of line #or not .. How
FreeBSD understand that This will be moduler or not ....

            c) in Linux we can create a boot disk with this boot disk if any
problem occur on the boot we can up the system with this disket .. in
FreeBSD with this big kernel it's not poessible I think . I want to learn
What FreeBSD users do if FreeBSD dont open the system for any boot file
corrupt or something ...