CVSUPIT pkg_add 90% good/10% strange

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Tue Dec 9 10:40:36 PST 2003

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 15:14:38 +1300
"Richard Shea" <freebsdQ0 at richardshea.fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 15:40:39 -0800, "Chris Pressey"
> <cpressey at catseye.mine.nu> said:
> > On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 12:00:15 +1300
> > "Richard Shea" <freebsdQ0 at richardshea.fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > [...]
> > > ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> > > ** Missing package files for cvsupit-3.1.
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > ... mean the machine is in a good state or a bad state (.. ah, the
> > > eternal question :-)
> >
> > Hm, I would say a bad state, but not *very* bad.  Looks like cvsupit
> > is partially installed?  You might be able to fix it up by running
> >
> >   pkg_delete cvsupit-3.1
> >
> > which should delete any files that were installed by the cvsupit
> > package (and possibly give you some warnings when trying to delete
> > ones that weren't.)
> >
> That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of it. However strange stuff
> persists because when I tried that I got ...
>
> trinidad# pkg_delete cvsupit-3.1
> pkg_delete: no such package 'cvsupit-3.1' installed
>
> ... - that's even though it just ran ! I then started looking in to
> the relevant ports directory and this is what I saw ...
>
> trinidad# pwd
> /usr/ports/net/cvsupit
> trinidad# ls
> work
> trinidad# cd work
> trinidad# ls -l
> total 0
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Dec  7 22:59 .build_done.cvsupit-3.1
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Dec  7 22:59 .configure_done.cvsupit-3.1
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Dec  7 22:59 .extract_done.cvsupit-3.1
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Dec  7 22:59 .patch_done.cvsupit-3.1
> trinidad#
>
> ... I take it those files are used as a form of logging ?

Sort of.  They're little 'cookies' that help indicate which phases have
been completed thus far, to the ports 'make' scripts.

> So on the
> one hand it's 'build_done' but on the other hand pkg_delete doesn't
> know about the package !

Not too surprising; if the install had completed sucessfully, there'd be
a '.install_done.cvsupit-3.1' file there too.

> Just did a ...
>
> trinidad# find / -name "*vsupi*" -print
>
> ... and didn't find anything elsewhere in the system either ...
>
> All in all a bit of a mystery - anyone else fancy having a go at
> explaining what might have happened or what it all means ;-)

Most likely, it built cvsupit sucessfully, then went to install it, but
found something it didn't like, so it stopped there.

Chances are it stopped before it installed anything - especially in
light of your find command.  In which case, your system isn't in a bad
state after all.

But if you want to be *really* certain, have a look at
/usr/ports/net/cvsupit/pkg-plist.  It should contain a list of all the
files the port wanted to install.  You can search for each of them in
your system, and delete them if you find them.

Note that the files listed in pkg-plist are missing the installation
prefix, usually "/usr/local/", so you have to tack that on yourself
mentally before looking for them.  Also, there might be filenames with
variables like %%THIS%% in it, in which case you'll have to look in the
Makefile to see what those variables would have been replaced with.

> regards
>
> richard.

HTH,
-Chris