How to Setup Reverse DNS on LAN?

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Tue Dec 9 08:32:26 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Stewart" <jstewart at rtl.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 6:21 AM

> On 09/12/03 05:50 -0800, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> > When connecting via ssh to my FBSD boxes, it takes over a minute
before the
> > connection is established.  Searching the archives suggests that
this is due
> > to a failed reverse DNS lookup that must time out before connecting.
> > Suggestions include adding the hosts to the local host file which
I've done.
> > However this does not seem to provide reverse DNS resolution which
appears
> > required.
> <snip>
> > Short of setting up named, is there a way to solve my problem?
>
> Are you using privilege separation? If you are, the ssh daemon is not
> looking for hosts in /etc. It will be looking somewhere else for the
> /etc/hosts file. Are you using sshd from the base?

Thanks for your reply.  AFAIK, I'm using sshd from the base system with
defaults.  How can I check?

Also, I use courier-imap.  With desktop machines physically attached to
my LAN, I don't have the IMAP clients using SSL and I get no delay
connecting.  However I have a laptop that I bring home from work on
occasion and it is configured to use SSL.  When I use it with a wireless
card on my home LAN, I seem to get similar delays when using it's IMAP
client.  Might the two be related?

Thanks for your help!

Drew