freebsd mount nwfs

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Tue Dec 9 05:43:51 PST 2003

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 17:03, Cristian Salan wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 11:51:55AM +0000, Feroz F. Basir wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I read your email to freebsd mailing list. You be able
> > to mount nwfs under freebsd. I'm trying to mount nwfs
> > as well but failed for some reason. I compiled in IPX,
> > NCP and NWFS in kernel. I put these two line below in
> > rc.conf file:
> >
> > ipxrouted_enable="YES"
> > ifconfig_fxp0_ipx="ipx 0x00010010"
> >
> > This is base on freebsd example. When I ran "ncplist
> > s" I got nothing at all. What am I missing here? Can
> > you ched some light, please? How do I go about setting
> > this ipx thingy under fxp0 interface?

I have not been able to find the original posting; perhaps to
a different mail list.

I am mounting nwfs on freebsd versions 4.5 to 4.8. The details
of how to do this a not easy to find -- even when I've done it before.

I think I originally only found the way through a query to this mailing list.

At least for FBSD 4.x it is necessary to generate additional pseudo
interfaces derived from the fxp0 (or whatever your base interface is)
interface each dedicated to a particular IPX variant.

This is done with the pseudo-device ef in the kernel configuration
or you should be able to use the loadable module if_ef.ko.

Take a look at the man page ef(4).

Now configure with
# ifconfig fxp0f2 ipx 0x00010010
or whatever the appropriate variant is in your case or
if you are not sure you should be able to fire up all 4 variants

I have actually included this in the kernel configuration with:

options         IPX                     #IPX/SPX communications protocols
options         NCP                     #NetWare Core protocol
pseudo-device   ef                      # Multiple ethernet frames support
options         ETHER_II                # enable Ethernet_II frame
options         ETHER_8023              # enable Ethernet_802.3 (Novell) frame
options         ETHER_8022              # enable Ethernet_802.2 frame
options         ETHER_SNAP

and then in rc.conf you could use :
 ifconfig_fxp0f2_ipx="ipx 0x00010010"

Malcolm Kay