Strange behavior with scp

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Dec 8 15:12:27 PST 2003

On Dec 8, 2003, at 5:09 PM, Sean Page wrote:
> When I try to scp a file from said machine, it shows the first line of
> the
> fortune (the one you see if you, say, log into a shell on the machine)
> on
> the client end and then it quits. No error is reported in
> /var/log/messages
> or auth.log and no file is transferred.

scp requires a "clean login", and that message might be causing the SSH
protocol used by scp to break.  In particular, something like: "ssh
_machine_ true" should run /bin/true and return without generating any
additional output.

Depending on the shell you use, wrapping the invocation of fortune in
something like:

   if ($?prompt) then
     # interactive CSH commands...
   endif