running freebsd with sendmail and qpopper

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at northnetworks.ca
Mon Dec 8 13:09:13 PST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 15:54, Marty Landman wrote:
> At 03:39 PM 12/8/2003, Steve Bertrand wrote:
>
> >Sure. One at a time though. Start with your zone file.
>
> Ok, btw email within the fbsd email server has been unaffected so far, i.e.
> it worked before and works now.
>
> I notice that while I can ping swamisalami from both the server and client
> boxes I can't ping swamisalami.face2interface.domain from either box.
> swamisalami.face2interface.domain is my rc.conf specified hostname, but
> since I don't actually understand most of what I'm doing here it's hardly a
> stretch of the imagination to speculate that I've coded something
> inconsistent elsewhere. Also I've setup the server ip 192.168.0.7 as the
> dns server for the client box; on both the nic and modem properties.
>
> FreeB cat /etc/namedb/face2interface.domain.zone
> $TTL 360      ; Default cached time to live for all records
>

> face2interface.domain.    IN      SOA     ns.face2interface.domain.
> admin at face2interface.domain.
>                          (
>                                  2003120401; Serial
>                                  172800  ; Refresh every 2 days
>                                  3600    ; Retry every hour
>                                  1728000 ; Expire every 20 days
>                                  172800 ); Minimum 2 days
>

> @       IN      NS      ns.face2interface.domain.
>

> ; Set the Mail Exchange record
>

> @       IN MX   10      mail.face2interface.domain.
>

> ns      IN A            192.168.0.7
> mail    IN A            192.168.0.7
> client  IN A            192.168.0.1
> router  IN A            192.168.0.1

Is the A records above correct? ie: is the DNS/mail server actually
192.168.0.7, or something else?

If they are different than 0.7, change them accordingly, change the
;serial number above to 2003120801 and reload the name server:

# ndc restart && tail -10 /var/log/messages | grep named

and make sure the name server is 'ready to answer queries'.

If that fails, check to see if /etc/resolv.conf has it's primary
nameserver statement like this:

nameserver 127.0.0.1

and make sure your client computer is looking to your DNS servers IP for
DNS.

If all fails, next send the named.conf file.

Steve