NATd question

Marwan Sultan Admin at kifco.net
Mon Dec 8 12:46:03 PST 2003

Hi dear Asher,

   First: Thank you TOO much for your detailed replay, its really a help!
   in your configurations you depend that ISP will give the BSD an IP.

   But in fact, Iam using a DSL MODEM ROUTER, which will call the internet
   automatically, and will assign (the router) the IP 192.168.0.1
   plus the real ip which ISP will give.

   and this Router will be connected to the FreeBSD box.

   This is why I'm missed, in your sweet drawing
   (wan nic)FreeBSD(lan nic)

   what the gateway should be? The router IP I assume? is it on (wan nic)?
   and do i need a DHCP?on xl0 ?

   manly im setting this configuration just to controll the network
   I need to block some IPs from internet and someother IPs a few ports,
   so im setting this BSD box because of the ipfw rules..

   Can you explain it accoring to DSL MODEM ROUTER which will assign
   an IP automaticaly ? how we will setup the freebsd to be
   the main gateway for clinets? insted the router?

   Iam sory for the long email.
   VERY warm thanks for you.

   Marwan

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 08:47:22 -0600, Bill Asher wrote

Marwan Sultan
Network Administrator