Routing problem

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at northnetworks.ca
Mon Dec 8 12:33:12 PST 2003

> LAN clients can access boh gateway interfaces by hostname and IP.  Clients
> are
> setup to use 192.168.1.2 for DNS, and 192.168.1.2 uses 192.168.1.1 for DNS.
> I cannot get any traffic to reach (let alone pass) the DSL modem from the
> clients.
>
> I have tried this with the FreeBSD gateway, a Win2k gateway, and Linksys
> router.
> Under any setup, the result is the same.  My ISP's support desk has been
> absolutely no help.  Can anyone tell what the problem may be here?  Thanks
> in
> advance for any help.

If your ISP is anything like this one, your modem will have NAT
translation built in, meaning that is likely your default gateway.

On your FBSD router, you never implied that it could/couldn't see the
Internet. I take it that if you put a PC into the modem and set it's
default gateway to 1.1 (the modem probably assigns this via DHCP
anyway), then you can get online.

If this is the case, then the secondary router is no use unless used as
a firewall. In that case, you wouldn't need to route, and you could just
set it up as an IP-less bridge firewall.

Regards,

Steve