Why would drive run at UDMA33? (Segate 80GB)

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Mon Dec 8 03:22:31 PST 2003

ATA channel 0:
    Master:  ad0 <ST380021A/3.19> ATA/ATAPI rev 5
    Slave:  acd0 <CD-RW 24X10X40/Y.IW> ATA/ATAPI rev 0
ATA channel 1:
    Master:  ad2 <ST380011A/3.06> ATA/ATAPI rev 6
    Slave:       no device present

Here is your problem. On channel  0  You have an UDMA100 disk and an
UDMA33 cd-rw. The motherboard IDE controller steps down the speed to
the speed of the slowest device. You have to move the cd-rw device
to the channel 1.  The motherboard will have printed next to the IDE
sockets, primary IDE and secondary IDE, which are channel 0 and
channel 1. Both HD's and the cd/rw have jumpers next to where the
ribbon connects. The jumpers have 3 positions, master, slave, and
cable select. If you look closely on the green board you will see
MA, SL, and CS to help you identify what jumper is located where. If
all three devices are jumpered with CS, then just swap the cd-rw
with the other HD. If your channel 0 HD is jumpered as master and
the cd/rw is jumpered as slave, them you have to change the cd-rw
jumper to master and swap it with the channel 1 HD, then jumper the
new HD to slave and plug it in where the cd-rw was on the channel 0
ribbon.