NATd question

Matt Edwards matthewedwards at comcast.net
Sun Dec 7 23:15:31 PST 2003

There some marketing scams out there that some ISP use to get you to pay
just a bit more for service.  One common scam is as follows:

consumer:  "I have two computers.  I need to make sure they can both get on
the internet."  (Thinking: "I know my buddy did this with his setup")
ISP: "Oh you mean you need a second IP address, right?" (Thinking: "The poor
guy doesn't know he can do it with one and NAT server.  But I ain't telling
him that.")
consumer: "Will that let me get both of these connected?"
ISP: "Oh you bet.  It will only be $5($10/$15/maybe even $20) more dollars a
month"
consumer: "Ok set it up.  Lets do that.  I really need to get these two on
the internet."

;)

Matt