Canon A70 w/ FreeBSD

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sun Dec 7 15:58:28 PST 2003

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 02:58:31PM -0800, Will Yardley wrote:
> JacobRhoden wrote:
> > On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 09:27 am, Will Yardley wrote:
>
> > > Has anyone had luck using the Canon PowerShot A70 with FreeBSD stable
> > > (4.x)? I notice in the home page for the s10sh drivers (see links below)
> > > that this model may not be supported.
>
> > Just buy yourself a compact-flash card reader. All you do is put your card
> > in and plug it into the usb port, and your able to mount it like a hard
> > disk. (: I find this method much simpler and more convenient.
>
> That might be a good option.
>
> > Otherwise you might want to checkout the gphoto port.
>
> Yeah - I've checked that out (and installed it from ports), and it does look
> like it supports that model.  Is the other driver still needed, or will this
> Just Work (TM), assuming that the usb and umass options are compiled into the
> kernel?
>
> I haven't ever used USB with FreeBSD, so I don't have a lot of experience
> with dealing with USB in general.

	I'e got the same general questions as Will Yardley,
	except that I'd like more on the card reader.  I've
	never used my USB ports--anywhere.  If I go down to
	CompUSA and ask the clerk for a compact-flash card
	reader, will t come with the cabling?  Does the card
	fit into the m'board?  (700MHz Intel-i815, circa 2001).

	I'm not worried about the software end of things;
	only the hardware interface.

	thanks,

	gary

	PS: FWIW, we're looking at the Fuji 3800.  It has a USB
	    cable; not sure how everything fits together... .

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix