fetch and portinstall

mike bueide mbueide at charter.net
Sun Dec 7 01:05:41 PST 2003

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 10:48:15AM +0300, Sergey 'DoubleF' Zaharchenko wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 00:09:02 -0700
> mike bueide <mbueide at charter.net> probably wrote:
>

> > When I install or upgrade a port, all attempts to an HTTP
> > URL fetch are timing out.  Typically I'll just sudo
> > portupgrade a port I wish to install.
> >
> > I am behind a firewall that uses nat and stateful rules.
> > Ftp fetches work just fine.  I just would like to speed
>
> If that's the only handicap, I'm very surprised to hear that FTP goes
> through and HTTP doesn't. Maybe your sysadmin disabled HTTP access:)?

Yep, my sysadmin (me) does some strange things now and then;).
No actually, HTTP is enabled.  It looks like I should have been a bit
more patient before bothering anyone on this list about my
trivial non problem.

It turns out that the reason the http fetches were timing
out was because of a misconfiguration of the Makefile of the
port I was trying to install.

The Makefile had these listed as the master sites for the
distfile:

MASTER_SITES= http://caraldi.com/jbq/numlockx/ \
        http://dforce.sh.cvut.cz/~seli/en/numlockx/

after a bit of snooping, the distfile is actually in:

http://caraldi.com/jbq/ports/numlockx

A manual fetch of this url completed successfully.

%fetch http://caraldi.com/jbq/ports/numlockx/numlockx-1.0.tar.gz
Receiving numlockx-1.0.tar.gz (34936 bytes): 100%
34936 bytes transferred in 3.2 seconds (10.62 kBps)

Changing the Makefile in /usr/ports/x11/numlockx to reflect
that valid url causes the port to install successfully.

Thanks Horio and Sergey for your input.