Java VM problems

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Sat Dec 6 19:51:43 PST 2003

In the last episode (Dec 06), Marc Huffnagle said:
> That solved it, thanks.  I'll pass this along to the people at
> freebsd-java, it seems like something that they should have in their
> FAQ.

You should have gotten this message when you installed the port:

$ cat /usr/ports/java/linux-sun-jdk14/pkg-message
Warning: This JDK is currently unstable.  You are advised to use
either the FreeBSD jdk14 port or one of the jdk13 ports instead.

This Java VM will attempt to obtain some system information by
accessing files in linux's procfs.  You must install the Linux
emulation procfs filesystem for this to work correctly.  The JVM
will exhibit various problems otherwise.  This can be accomplished
by adding the following line to your /etc/fstab file:

 linprocfs   /compat/linux/proc   linprocfs   rw   0  0

and then, as root, executing the commands:

kldload linprocfs
mount /compat/linux/proc

	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com