panic during dump (ufs_dirbad) and fsck dumping core after

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at apropo.ro
Sat Dec 6 14:44:51 PST 2003

Hi,

FreeBSD it.buh.cameradicommercio.ro 5.1-RELEASE-p10 FreeBSD
5.1-RELEASE-p10 #0: Wed Nov 19 00:01:27 EET 2003
root at it.buh.cameradicommercio.ro:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/IT1  i386

I was trying to dump/restore my data from my 40G HDD (ad3) on a bigger
120G HDD (ad0).

I've booted from the CD, used sysinstall to devide the disk, installed
the minimal distribution, boot up on the new install. Rebooted with the
old system (multiuser but in the console and with no activity beside
dump/restore, with all /usr/local/etc/rc.d stoped), mounted each new
slice and rm -rf * the content.

dump/restore ad3s2a to ad0s1a (/)
dump/restore ad3s2d to ad0s3d (/tmp)
dump/restore ad3s2e to ad0s1e (/var)

Untill here everithing OK.

# mount /dev/ad0s3f /mnt
# mkdir /mnt/home
# mount /dev/ad0s3g /mnt/home
# cd /mnt
# dump 0aLf - / | restore xf -

Sometime after 1/3 got dumped I've fpund myself in the debbuger with:
/mnt: bad dirino 753722
panic: ufs_dirbad at offset 0: mangled entry

I've hit the wrong key so I do not have a core, but I'm confident I can
reproduce if needed.

Rebooted. After fsck-ing the current disk with good results on the new
disk I get the attached (fsck_ad0s3f.txt adnd fsck_a0s3g.txt) errors,
with fsck saying:
for ad0s3f
 cannot alloc xxxxxxxxxx bytes for inoinfo
and ending with
 fsck_4.2bsd: bad inode number 376832 to nextinode

for ad0s3g
 it# fsck -n ad0s3g
 ** /dev/ad0s3g (NO WRITE)
 ** Last Mounted on /mnt/home
 ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
 cannot alloc 4216257920 bytes for inoinfo

 UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY
 UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=47104
 UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY
 fsck: /dev/ad0s3g: Segmentation fault

Attached are also fdisk and bsdlabel output.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user