Booting

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Dec 6 01:52:40 PST 2003

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 02:39:11AM -0600, Jonathan Walters wrote:
> I have installed FreeBSD on my system and I can't boot into it. I don't see
> a boot menu, other than that of Windows (I have Windows 2000 installed also
> on the same disk in a different partition.) Am I doing something wrong?

I think I can say, without fear of contradiction, "Yes, you are doing
something wrong".

However, it's practically impossible to work out exactly what you've
got wrong without a bit more information.  At a guess you either haven
installed a boot block capable of booting several different OSes, or
you need to edit the boot.ini file on your W2K partition to give you
an option to boot FreeBSD.

For the first, the easiest thing to do is install the FreeBSD booteasy
boot manager -- that's the thing that gives you the (F1, F2 ...) menu.
There are several other popular 3rd party boot managers -- grub for
one -- which many people swear by.

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/multi-os/index.html
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/boot.html

If you want to go the NTLDR way: