two questions,

Simon Barner barner at in.tum.de
Fri Dec 5 17:56:34 PST 2003

> I've gotten cvsup working correctly. It is following
> 5_1_RELENG and "." for ports. I want to do a daily
> check using crontabs and have created one under root.
> However, my daily mail says that it can't find cvsup.
> IS this just a simple fix by putting in the full path
> or am I missing something?

Yes, probably. Why don't you give it a shot?

> Second,
>   I was following the portupgrade tutorial for
> upgrading your installed ports at onlamp.
>
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/28/FreeBSD_Basics.html
>
> I ran "portupgrade -arR" about 9pm on Thursday. It is
> now 5pm on Friday and it's STILL running.
>  My box isn't the fastest on the block, but it is a
> Dual P2 300 (running SMP) with 256 megs of RAM and am
> running X , Apache2, and PHP aside from the standard
> setup/
>  I guess my question is more a concern in that I
> inadvertantly installed ALL the ports in the
> collection. Did I? Manning portupgrade, the -a says
> "upgrade all INSTALLED" with the "r"'s being forward
> and backwards recursive, but 20 hours?

Well, that depends which and how many ports you have installed on your
box. I have a 400Mhz K6-III here, and updating Gnome 2.4 to 2.5 took me
more that half a day of CPU-time (there were also some other ports that
got updated). If you have a lot of ports installed of which quite a lot
are outdated, it might indeed take a while until portupgrade is
finished.

You can post a list of installed ports if you are unsure.

Just a guess: Are that your second CPU isn't idle? It is possible to have `make'
execute multiple jobs simultaneously (with the -j parameter). To make this
the default, you should add the following line to /etc/make.conf

MAKE_ARGS=-j N

where N is the number of (compilation, assembly, ...) jobs, that are
started concurrently. For your dual processor system, I'd recommend N=2
or N=4 (having more processes than CPUs can speed up non-CPU bound, jobs
given that your I/O system is fast enough).

Simon