xmms will only play 1 mp3 and then stop

Bill Sawyer bsawyer at aloneincrowds.org
Fri Dec 5 12:07:51 PST 2003

On Friday 05 December 2003 07:36 pm, Ray Seals wrote:
> xmms will only play one MP3 and then will not play another one.  The new
> song will display the title but won't play.  If I click the play button
> it just blinks the display and show 00:00.  This is the case with
> selected mp3's from a directory or a play list.  The only way to play
> another mp3 is to exit out of X and restart X.

I encountered a similar problem.  I think it has to do with the way artsd
interacts with sound sockets produced by xmms.  I'd pretty much fixed the
problem by using the command "artsdsp xmms" when running xmms, and then
setting the output plugin to esd.  I had problems with the oss plugin, and
the native artsd plugin was similarly ineffective.

A number of programmers have commented on the cumbersome nature of artsd, but
I haven't explored the nature of their complaints in depth.

Bill