What exactly is ipfilter?

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Fri Dec 5 08:02:17 PST 2003

FBSD comes with two firewall applications built into the base
release. IPFW and IPFILTER. IPFW is an FBSD in-house project which
authored IPFW so the handbook leads the reader into thinking it's
the only firewall in FBSD. IPFW has just gone through an rewrite and
a bunch of code bloat was added in the form of new rule options
targeted at the professional FBSD user. It still contains the NATD
stateful bug and the stateless and simple stateful rule formats.
These rule formats do not provide the level of firewall security
necessary to protect your private network. I have used both
firewalls and have found that IPFILTER has cleaner stateful rule
format and in general is much easier to configure.  The nat process
is done out side of the firewall where by IPFW performs the NAT
process as subroutine called from within the filter rules.  Go with
IPFILTER you will be glade you did.