Out of pty's

DG david at fielden.com.au
Thu Dec 4 16:00:38 PST 2003

This is covered in the FAQ:

10.19. How do I add pseudoterminals to the system?

   If you have lots of telnet, ssh, X, or screen users, you will probably
run
   out of pseudoterminals. Here is how to add more:

    1. Build and install a new kernel with the line

 pseudo-device pty 256

       in the configuration file.

    2. Run the commands

 # cd /dev
 # sh MAKEDEV pty{1,2,3,4,5,6,7}

       to make 256 device nodes for the new terminals.

    3. Edit /etc/ttys and add lines for each of the 256 terminals. They
       should match the form of the existing entries, i.e. they look like

 ttyqc none network

       The order of the letter designations is tty[pqrsPQRS][0-9a-v], using
       regular expression.

    4. Reboot the system with the new kernel and you are ready to go.

Dave