Out of pty's

Jez Hancock jez.hancock at munk.nu
Thu Dec 4 14:07:14 PST 2003

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 01:28:36PM -0800, Justin Burke wrote:
> Looks like my system is running out of free pty's. There are a bunch of
> users on the system running screen, so we are using up a ton of the
> ptys.
>
> How do I find out the limit of ptys on my system? (sysctl doesn't
> seem to show anything relevant.)
I believe you can increase the number of ptys by modifying /etc/ttys -
from looking at my /etc/ttys file it looks as though once the ttyp* ttys
are used up, the tty monniker changes to ttyq* etc...

> How do I increase that value? The pseudo-pty value in the kernel config
> has no assigned value (ie. we are using the default).... but what is the
> default?
Again I believe this is down to /etc/ttys.

--
Jez Hancock
 - System Administrator / PHP Developer

http://munk.nu/