Obtaining the unix o/s

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Dec 4 11:29:01 PST 2003

Dominick DiMantova wrote:

>Hello,
>
>My name is Dominick DiMantova and I have a question, or two:
>
>1. what is the difference  in either purchasing the media or downloading
>the software? If I want to download the software, when I go to one of the
>ftp sites, I'm looking at the ste with alot of folders; how do I know what
>I need to download?

Before committing too much time and energy, grab the
FBSD handbook and read a few chapters.

  ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/handbook
  (english version, multiple formats)

If you are thinking of downloading a CD, then you're looking
for an "ISO image" file.  IIRC, there are some folders or links to
folders fairly clearly marked according to system architecture;
for Intel (PC compatible) machines, look for "i386".  After that,
the catch would be, "do I want 4.x, or 5.x" and, after that's
decided, there are a couple of other options such as
"the MINI ISO", the "standard ISO", etc.

  ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386

My preferred method of installing FBSD is stated on the freebsd.org
home page.  "You need 2 freshly formatted floppies and these
instructions...."

>2. Is X Windows a separate product or does it come bundled with freebsd?

A seperate product.  If you create a FBSD box via the Internet,
some additional bandwidth/time will be necessary to add
X to the system.  If you buy a FBSD CD set, you should have
sufficient materials on those CD's to create a working FBSD+
X Windows system without much 'Net connectivity.

>Thanks.
>

>Sincerely,
>
>Dominick DiMantova

HTH,