Connection attempt to TCP messages in /var/log/messages

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Thu Dec 4 08:10:57 PST 2003

The log-in-vain MIB is an poor mans version of an firewall. When you
enable IPFW or IPFILTER this MIB and the other network security
MIB's become meaningless, as the firewall gets access to the packets
before anything else and drops all packets arriving on ports without
any application listening on the port as technically invalid.  This
subject has been posted to the questions list this week. See subject
thread 'network security sysctl mib's'